At Alaska Center for Dentistry, we have a variety of TMJ treatment options for our patients near Wasilla, AK who suffer from TMJ. Our team performs a complete evaluation of the jaw and mouth to determine the best treatment options for each individual patient.
Are you suffering from migraines, frequent headaches, jaw pain, or an aching pain in your face? These are all symptoms of Temporomandibular Joint Disorder, also known as TMJ or TMD. This condition can make chewing, talking, and other daily activities painful and difficult.
What Is TMJ?
TMJ is a common abbreviation for the Temporomandibular Joint which connects your lower jawbone to the base of your skull. A series of complex muscles, joint pads and tendons help move and protect this joint while it is in motion.
Because this joint is one of the most frequently used joints in the human body, when it becomes inflamed, it can be extremely painful. Problems and pain associated with the TMJ are often referred to as simply “TMJ” or “TMJ Disorder.”
Symptoms vary, but generally include:
- Pain and tenderness around the jaw, ears, cheeks and neck
- Stiffness in the jaw
- Painful chewing
- Pain while yawning
- Locking of the jaw
- Uncontrolled change of facial expression
- Changes in how the upper and lower teeth fit together
What Causes TMJ?
Many things can contribute to the development of TMJ. Stress can be a factor, as well as anything that can cause tension in the jaw and surrounding muscle groups.
A few common causes can be:
- Grinding teeth or clenching your jaw (also referred to as bruxism)
- Injury to the neck or jaw from a trauma such as an auto accident
- Improper bite alignment
- Sleep apnea
- Dislocation or erosion of the joint
How Can TMJ Treatment Help?
There are several ways TMJ treatment can help manage this disorder. At Alaska Center for Dentistry, our Wasilla dentists use bite guards and medicinal therapy to treat the symptoms of TMJ.
These forms of TMJ treatment can provide the following benefits:
- Reduced shoulder and neck pain
- Minimized lockjaw symptoms
- Reduced jaw discomfort when talking, chewing or yawning
- Alleviation of headaches caused by bruxism
- Reduction in jaw tension
Schedule Your TMJ Treatment Consultation With Alaska Center for Dentistry Today!
If you’re suffering from symptoms of TMJ, give us a call today!